The death toll in the sizzling heat wave sweeping many parts of the country today rose to 2,207, with 202 more deaths being reported since Friday from Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Odisha.
The overall toll in various parts of the country yesterday stood at 2005.
The heat wave was witnessed in many parts of the country but Nagpur in Maharashtra recorded the highest temperature of 47.1 degrees celsius.
Andhra Pradesh reported 146 more deaths today, raising the toll 1636 since Friday.
Prakasam district has recorded the maximum number of 333 deaths, followed by Guntur district (233), followed by East Godavari (192), Visakhapatnam (185), Vizianagaram (177), Nellore (163), Krishna (78), Chittoor (64), Srikakulam (60), Anantapur (56), Kadapa (38), Kurnool (34) and West Godavari (23).
According to the MeT department, heat wave conditions prevailed Saturday over some parts in the districts of Guntur and Kurnool of Rayalaseema. The highest maximum temperature of 47 deg Celsius was recorded at Jangamaheshwarapur.
Rain occurred at a few places over Rayalaseema and at isolated places over Coastal Andhra Pradesh.
In Telangana, the toll due to the heat wave rose to 541 Saturday, with 52 more deaths being reported during the last 24 hours, said a senior official of the state disaster management department. The toll in the state was 489 on Friday.
The toll in Odisha also rose to 21 from 17 since Friday. Seven deaths have so far been reported from Gujarat and two from Delhi.
Since April 15, Nalgonda district in Telangana has recorded maximum number of 139 deaths, followed by Karimnagar (120), Khammam (95) and Mahabubnagar (42).
Heat wave has claimed 36 lives in Ranga Reddy district followed by 35 in Medak district, 26 in Adilabad, 20 in Warangal, 18 in Nizamabad, and 10 in Hyderabad.
The highest maximum temperature of 47 degree Celsius was recorded at Ramagundam Friday.
In Odisha, the Special Relief Commissioner’s (SRC) office received reports of 108 deaths allegedly due to sun stroke. However, only 21 have been confirmed as death due to heat stroke.